Tuesday, January 9, 2007

A day in the life of...

As I sit on this bus which is about to deliver me to my day of suffering in the mountains I thought I might outline a typical day on this trip:

6.30am-wake up

7am-breakfast

7.30-start getting my shit together. This includes getting food and water into my backpack, checking my radio, pinning my number onto my filthy shirt and rushing the bike and bags downstairs to the lobby to be loaded onto the truck. Basically freaking out.

8.30-bus leaves for race.

9.30-bus arrives at start. More freaking out, getting dressed checking radios, etc.

10 or 10.30-race starts for the day. Fast and hard for 4-5 hours.

3pm-race finishes. That means I am soaking wet, dirty and tired. Got to find the team car to get food and water and Cloths.

3.30-either ride bike or get on bus to go to the next hotel depending on how far it is.

4-get keys to room, fight for elevator space, get to room, take shower and wash Cloths in shower with me. Then I wash bottles then I eat lunch. After that I go to clean what's left of my bike and fix broken stuff (there's always something).

5.30-6-maybe I get a nap in here and maybe I don't. Sometimes I just take care of "stuff".

7.30-dinner. Usually this is when we get the results from the days race.

8.30-back to room. More Cloths washing, bottle cleaning and restocking of supplies for the next day. This is when I can also send some emails and read and watch TV as long as something else doesn't come up (like a flooded hotel parking garage with all the bikes in it or ants in my bed).

10-go to bed.

6.30am the next day-REPEAT.
Tom

--
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

2 comments:

go away said...

hey tommy b, keep yer panties on! it looks like you're all doing a great job on this malaysian tour. ...maybe if you stop flipping the bird to all the cops along the race you won't get into so many crashes? hmm.
o, wait... wrong boy. ;)
keep writing, too, you're my favorite informer!

Unknown said...

Joe keeps saying how great it is that you're taking a 5 week "vacation" ...he must not be reading this!