Friday, January 12, 2007

Stages 5 and 6-fast!

Hey everybody. So I thought I might post some cold hard numbers from the last two days. I guess the cyclists will appreciate this a bit more than the rest, but they are impressive non the less.

Here they are from stages 5 and 6. I think the craziest part is that this is after 3 100+ mile stages and a mountain stage with 35-40 miles of climbing. Here it is:

Stage 5-77 miles mostly flat:

overall average-29.2 mph
Average of first hour alone-30.2
Average of last kilo with a 200-250 meter climb-33.5
Pack finishing speed (cause my ass didn't win!)-40 mph.

Stage 6-91 miles w/rolling hills:

Overall average-28.2 mph
Average of first hour alone-29.2 mph
Last 3 km average with pack finish and lots of crashes-35 mph.


The two days were very similar with a couple of key exceptions pertaining to stage 6:


1) The attacking went on for twice as long before a break actually stuck.

2) I got a flat, had to go get a wheel from the car and then chase back on @ 35 mph through a train of 20 cars. For those who don't race this can be the kiss of death and generally sucks because the odds of getting back with the group are slim. This is the exact moment that the break got away. At least I got back on which is a feat in and of its own and a first for me. (not flatting, i've had plenty of those in these races, rather, making it back.)

3) there were plenty of crashes leading to the finish. Fortunately I was spared.

Tons of fun.
Tom

--
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tommy: congrats on not hitting the deck, I was beginning to wonder. Good luck, Neal Fisher.

Anonymous said...

Keep it and good luck for the rst of your races

Mom said...

Hi Tom,

sounds as though you are having quite the ride glad to hear you have avoided head and body contact with the pavement....news is Malaysia is floating stay dry and in one piece.
MOM