Sunday, December 31, 2006

Well that's a wrap! anyone got a bike i can ride?

Well, it's sunday and the race is over. sorry i've been out of touch for the last couple of days. Shit hit the fan on stage 5 with 3 laps to go and there was a massive pile up and yes, you guessed it, old tommy b. was right in harms way. nothing i could do but surf out the big one like Patrick Swayze in the end of Point Break. All joking aside, that one really hurt. i managed to re-open all the injuries i had from the first crash (which was, in all fairness, my fault) and add a couple of new ones, including a sprained wrist. there were moaning bodies all over the road and an ambulence and everything. i decided to just sit on the sidewalk and wait for medical attention for a while. before i knew it the ambulence had pulled away and left me there, bleeding on the side of the road. They missed me! Didn't even see me! Sooooo. i picked up my bike, bent a few key items back into place and rode it in. once i got to the finish i figured what the hell, might as well finish it right? so i rode it out to the finish.

i rode the final stage with a bandaged wrist and bowed out when things started getting hot. no need to make things worse i figure.

Price of bicycle frame (a freebe thank god): $1500
Set of fancy wheels (used): $500
BRAND NEW handlebars: $200
helmet (at least i didn't pay for this): $150
various articles of cloths: $?
bandages: complimentary
offset that with total winnings (per rider): +$40 Wow!

price of racing/crashing my bike in 2 separate countries: priceless!

overall as a team we did so so. The russians (god bless them) walked with nearly all the prize money that was up for grabs, leaving but crumbs for the rest. So now it's a week of rest and ointment for me, as well as a stop to the local bike shop for some essential gear before we head to malaysia for for the next race. SHould be fun.

BTW: thanks to all for the comments. i have been posting via email and have been unable to read your comments until now. some of you are too funny (you know who you are)!

tommy

ps. http://stefaninasia.blogspot.com is my teammates blog too. i put a link atthe top of my page to his site. you should read it to get a different perspective on things if you have the time. he's quite funny.

7 comments:

Mom said...

Tom..You've been crashing bikes since you were 3 some things never change. If I'd known then what I know now I would have taken that CHIPS big wheels away. Get a new helmet you can not afford to any loss of brain cells..what number helmet is this 5 or 6? Stay safe. I think you should forward this to Visa it is priceless but also very nerve racking for your mother..Mom

Unknown said...

Tommy, I hope you don't buy carbon bars again.......save some skin for the next two races.

Anonymous said...

Tom,

Hope you did not forget to get a pic for your retrospective. Hope they have some extra frames. Sounds like others will be needed for the rest of the trip.

Take care of yourself.

Uncle Bro

Nancygirl said...

hey rockstar, we miss ya here at tungsten. work up your appetite because i want my lunch buddy back! love all those pictures and blog, love the "fuk court" most though :-). even though the "almost naked except bike shorts" rivals all else. mua! see ya featherboy. - nancygirl.

Lane Herrick said...

Hey Tommy B.,

You've got enough scar tissue and scabs now to fill a box of Scab Flakes - the new and improved version of a Champion's Breakfast! Anyway - Figure it like this - you've got all the crashing out of the way now and all that's left is to get fast and faster and really have some fun.

Break a leg next time, Rockstar.

Lane -

Anonymous said...

Tommy,
Here's a little safety tip my friend Paul told me: "Never get off the bike until it stops moving"

Maybe you can sell some of those skin flakes on Ebay to help pay for new bike parts.

We all look forward to seeing you on a future Sunday ride. Ride fast!
Brian P. of Bristol

Anonymous said...

Well I guess that's it. After the last 2 stages I don't think I'll be able to ride with you again. I don't think I can get the guys to go that slow. Hope all is well.

Chas